Shoulder impingement is a common cause of shoulder pain in Richmond and can significantly impact your quality of life. Impingement occurs when there is compression of structures in the shoulder joint, usually the rotator cuff tendons or bursa. This compression causes irritation, inflammation and damage to the tendons if left untreated. The good news is that with the right exercises and treatment, shoulder impingement can often be resolved. This article will provide an overview of Shoulder Impingement Exercise in Richmond that can help overcome it.
What Causes Shoulder Impingement?
There are several possible causes of shoulder impingement. Let’s take a look at the most prominent reasons that cause shoulder impingement in Richmond. Then you can have a clear idea about the reason behind your shoulder issue.
- Repetitive overhead motions: Repeated overhead reaching and lifting can irritate the rotator cuff over time. Sports like tennis, swimming, volleyball, and baseball often lead to impingement.
- Poor posture: Slumped posture causes the shoulder joint to move excessively, pinching the rotator cuff.
- Age: Rotator cuff tendons become less flexible with age. Impingement is common in older adults.
- Structural abnormalities: Variations in shoulder anatomy like bone spurs and shape of the acromion can contribute to impingement.
- Trauma: Past shoulder dislocation or fractures can alter shoulder mechanics and cause impingement.
Symptoms of Shoulder Impingement
Now you are aware about the reasons behind shoulder and Shoulder Sprain Treatment in Richmond. With that in mind, it is also worth to take a look at the symptoms. Then you can decide whether you are struggling with it or not.
- Pain in the front or side of the shoulder that worsens with overhead motions
- Discomfort lying on the affected shoulder
- Stiffness, weakness, and reduced range of motion in the shoulder
- Dull ache that persists at rest
If left untreated, severe shoulder impingement can weaken rotator cuff muscles which may lead to more significant injury. Early diagnosis and treatment are key.
Effective Exercises for Shoulder Impingement
The right exercises can help resolve shoulder impingement by strengthening muscles, restoring flexibility, and correcting posture flaws that contribute to impingement. Always check with your physical therapist or doctor before starting a new exercise program. Here are some of the most effective Shoulder Impingement Exercise in Richmond that you can try.
- Pendulum Swings: Lean over a table and let your affected arm hang down. Swing the arm gently in small circles and back and forth to loosen the shoulder.
- Wall Slides: Stand with your back against the wall and feet shoulder-width apart. Slowly raise your affected arm overhead, sliding it up the wall. Hold for 5 seconds then lower.
- External Rotation: Hold a resistance band or small weight at your side with the affected arm. Keeping elbow bent 90 degrees, rotate your arm outward. Hold for 3 seconds then relax.
- Internal Rotation: Again, holding a band or weight, keep elbow bent and rotate your arm across your body. Hold for 3 seconds and lower with control.
- Scapular Retraction: Sit or stand with good upright posture. Pinch shoulder blades together, hold 5 seconds and relax. Repeat 10 times.
- Doorway Stretch: Face a doorway and place forearms on the door frame. Lean forward through the doorway to stretch chest muscles. Hold for 30 seconds.
Staying Active with Shoulder Impingement
Along with Shoulder Strain Physical Therapy in Richmond, it is important to remain generally active if you have shoulder impingement. Low-impact activities like walking, biking, swimming, and water aerobics are great options. Avoid repetitive overhead motions and consider modifying any exercises that aggravate your shoulder. Listen to your body, ice sore shoulders after activity and take ample rest between exercise sessions. With patience and consistency, you will start regaining strength, flexibility, and function in your shoulder.
Don’t Let Shoulder Pain Limit You
Shoulder impingement is a common source of upper body pain and disability. But with the right blend of stretching, strengthening and posture exercises, you can successfully treat impingement and get back to overhead activities pain-free. A physical therapist can design a customized recovery program to meet your needs. Regain your quality of life and full use of your shoulder by overcoming impingement with Shoulder Sprain Physical Therapy in Richmond. Make sure that you remain an active lifestyle to effectively overcome shoulder impingement and related issues.
To Apply Now For Shoulder Impingement Exercise in Richmond Click Here!
Shoulder Impingement in Richmond, Shoulder Sprain Treatment in Richmond, Shoulder Strain Physical Therapy in Richmond, Shoulder Sprain Physical Therapy in Richmond, Shoulder Impingement Exercise in Richmond, helping children improve in Richmond, helping children regain cognitive in Richmond, Dry Needling Certified in Richmond, Dry Needling Appointment in Richmond