Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) causes tingling, numbness, and pain in the hand and fingers. This frustrating condition makes it difficult to complete daily tasks and activities. The good news is that with proper carpal tunnel therapy from specialists in Sugar Land, you can reduce uncomfortable symptoms and restore normal function. In this article, we’ll explore causes, symptoms, and the top treatments for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Sugar Land.
What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?
Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when the median nerve, which runs from the forearm into the hand, gets compressed at the wrist. The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway surrounded by bones and ligaments at the base of the hand. When this space decreases or the nerve gets irritated, nerve signals can’t properly travel to the fingers.
Causes of carpal tunnel include:
- Repetitive hand motions that overuse the wrist
- Pregnancy due to fluid retention compressing the tunnel
- Arthritis and bone deformities constricting the area
- Trauma or injury damaging the nerve
- Diabetes, thyroid disorders, and other conditions
Symptoms typically start gradually and worsen over time. They include:
- Tingling, numbness, pain in thumb, index, middle fingers
- Sensations worsening at night
- Weak grip strength
- Clumsiness handling objects
- Burning, aching discomfort moving the wrist
Without treatment, symptoms may become permanent, so it’s important to see a specialist.
Carpal Tunnel Treatments Available in Sugar Land
There are a variety of non-surgical and surgical carpal tunnel treatments that a specialist in Sugar Land may recommend:
- Wrist splinting – Keeps wrist in neutral position overnight to calm inflamed tissues
- NSAID medications – Reduces inflammation pressing on the nerve
- Steroid injections – Injects anti-inflammatories directly into carpal tunnel
- Physical/occupational therapy – Stretches and exercises to mobilize the wrist. Make sure to work with a specialist for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Therapy in Sugar Land to receive the best results.
- Endoscopic surgery – Makes a small incision to cut the ligament pressing on nerve
- Open carpal tunnel release – larger incision to directly visualize and release nerve
- Recovery often involves hand therapy to rebuild wrist strength
When to See a Hand Specialist
Don’t put off seeking carpal tunnel treatment. Caught early, symptoms can often be reversed with conservative care. Here are the signs where you need to get in touch with a Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Specialist in Sugar Land.
- Persistent numbness, tingling, especially waking you up at night
- Weakened grip causing you to drop objects
- Pain traveling up from the wrist into your arm
- No improvement with splinting and anti-inflammatory medications
Top Carpal Tunnel Specialists in Sugar Land
Sugar Land boasts many excellent orthopedic doctors and specialists who can diagnose carpal tunnel and provide effective treatment right in your neighborhood. Look for hand surgeons and specialists with expertise in electromyography testing, minimally invasive endoscopic procedures, and therapy protocols to rehabilitate the wrist pre and post-surgery.
Doing your research, reading reviews, and asking for referrals from your primary doctor can help you find the right carpal tunnel expert to get your hands feeling better again.
Preventing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
While some carpal tunnel causes like genetics can’t be avoided, there are preventative steps you can take to lower your risk:
- Maintain proper posture at your desk to keep your wrist straight – Consider ergonomic equipment like keyboards, mouse pads, and chairs that promote neutral wrist positioning.
- Take regular breaks from repetitive tasks to stretch and move your hands and arms.
- Avoid sleeping with bent wrists. Use a neutral wrist brace if needed.
- Manage any underlying medical conditions like diabetes, arthritis, or thyroid disorders.
- Do strength training to build muscles supporting the wrist joint.
- Use alternate hands for tasks and limit time spent on activities requiring awkward wrist motions.
- Ensure workstations are at proper heights.
Being proactive with posture, ergonomics, stretching, and strength training can help keep carpal tunnel at bay. But if you do develop symptoms, don’t hesitate to see a hand specialist for treatment. Catching carpal tunnel early is key to effective relief.
Don’t let carpal tunnel keep you from your active life. The right combination of rest, wrist splinting, therapy, medications, and surgery, when necessary, can get you on the road to recovery. With leading specialists in Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Sugar Land, you can find relief and get back to using your hands comfortably again.
To Apply Now For Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Sugar Land Click Here!
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Sugar Land, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Therapists in Sugar Land, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Therapy in Sugar Land, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Specialist in Sugar Land, Physical Therapy for Wrist in Sugar Land, Best Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Therapists in Sugar Land, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Diagnosis Therapists in Sugar Land